I've been merging Canvec tiles here in Manitoba over the past while,
and although I can clearly see the need to do this manually where this
is pre-existing data, I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are about
automating this process where there is NO pre-existing data in the
location bounded by a tile.

What I've got in mind is a plugin for JOSM where you'd add a bunch of
Canvec tiles to a list, hit a button and leave it alone while it does
its thing.
The general process I'm envisioning is:
For each tile in list:
 If tile contains coastline, skip
 Download data in area bounded by tile.
 If no data found, merge tile into downloaded area.
 Select boundaries of tile and automatically merge nodes from adjacent
tiles to eliminate the duplicates on the tile boundaries.
 Upload results
 Mark tile in list indicating it was processed
End

The populated areas are probably best to be done manually as we're
doing them now, but there are vast areas of the country where I think
this would work well.

Opinions?