On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, James Ewen wrote:

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

If someone were to import a 100% pure canvec data an empty openstreetmap
instance and render this as a background WMS layer would this then make
editing/importing canvec data in Potlach easier?  I think tracing a more
verbose version of canvec might be less error prone for many people than
importing direct from the .OSM files.

That would be nice to have. One of the difficulties with the Canvec
import is the fact that the Canvec data gave way in deference to
existing OSM data. This means that there are lots of places where we
need to connect the two together (not so hard), or where poorly
aligned ways were kept and better quality Canvec data was left out.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.786&lon=-112.0373&zoom=14&layers=M

With respect to the automated GeoBase import I did a few years back (of which that is a sample of) I can provide .osm files with all the excluded data to anyone that asks. At one point I had them up on a free filesharing site but I think that went away. I don't think Potlach can read these files though. If someone wants to setup a server that can server them up as WMS I'd be happy to provide the files as well.

I doubt people doing manual/semi manual canvec imports people any listings of what wasn't imported (I know I don't keep track of that).

Being able to see the Canvec data that was left out would be nice.
Being able to grab the segments that were left out and import them to
replace the poorly aligned ways copied from low resolution images
would be even better.

--
James
VE6SRV