Let start from the beginning. What is the objective of OSM?
A collaborative map of the world. Not a patchwork. We need a map with
sufficient quality to support various projects.

And there are a lot of dynamic projects around like http://hiking.lonvia.de/en/
 and http://hikebikemap.de/.

See this nice nordic ski map derived from OSM :
http://www.pistes-nordiques.org/
It is more developped in Europe. So Zoom-in in this area to see trails in
detail. And then, pass the mouse over trails. An Elevation Profile of the trail
will be proposed.

A lot of similar projects are susceptible to emerge in various sectors : sport,
food, local communities, organic farms, artisanal cheese makers, local
producers, etc.
What do they need from us? How we deliver?  We surely have to tag and structure
various information related to such activities.

OSM is a vast project interrelated with communities, Open source developpers.
The derived products of OSM need good quality map as baselayer and Bulk imports
should surely be part of the portrait.

Pierre