From: Pierre Béland [mailto:infosbelas-...@yahoo.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:02 PM
To: talk-ca@openstreetmap.org
Cc: Paul Norman; Nicolas Gariépy
Subject: Import Canvec : micro-tâches / Canvec imports micro-tasking

Data import is essential to cover all of Canada, But it is complex to import
Canvec files in areas were data already exist. Both unexperienced and
experienced people may make errors.  Import process is often too complex and
too long to realize.

Micro-tasking presently consist of dividing a a NTS grid area in smaller
zones. If this micro-tasking was based on layers, I think that this would
reduce the complexity of Canvec imports, reduce errors and encourage more
people to import. But if necessary because of size, some NTS grids could be
subdivided by smaller zones.

The OSM import files would be divided by layers like it is done for planet
files. There could be layers such as roads, poi, landuse, water, forest,
coastlines, administrative boundaries, other...). This way, the individual
import tasks would be less complex to realize, easier to compare with what
already exist. Also, the task would be realized more rapidly.

When certain type of data such as forests seems less appropriate for a
specific area, it would be easy for the mapper to skip this layer. Also, the
administrative boundaries and coastlines should be reserved to more
experienced people. They could be grouped in a distinct directory and cover
larger zones.

I think that we need more than the Google doc to monitor the mapping.

The New Zealand linz2osm tool seems too complex to me. But it can give us
some clue about how to develop such a tool.

See linz2osm New Zealand project.
http://linz2osm.openstreetmap.org.nz/

See Glen Barnes discussion on Import list.

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/2u2n5O1bELI3yg2ULjry

Pierre