Frank Steggink  november 13 2012 15h37
answering Paul Norman

> However, time is limited, so I eventually decided
to stop. The reasons which motivated me doing imports are no longer
enough to continue. It is
>  partially due to the criticism of you and
others. If my contributions are not accepted / acceptable, there is no
reason to continue, so I can better stop.
>  I also think that OSM has
caused a lot of awareness for open data, and governments are opening up
much more. For example, also in the
> Netherlands a lot of datasets have
become open data, like the national road register, buildings, and
topography. Of course, with the availability of
> Canvec, this is also
true in Canada. So for many geospatial professionals there is not much
reason to continue OSM, except when you're interested
> in areas for which no other alternative exists (cycling routes, historic
> buildings, etc.).

Frank,

I came too late to OSM to see the mapping parties like the ones you were
participating in Sherbrooke. I think that we should come back to that spirit,

For OSM to be a success in Canada, we need stronger local communities, pursue
imports and improve over it. Lets compare us to France. Discussions on the
Osm-France list show a well organize community, a lot of projects, servers,
monitoring tools, blog, mapping parties even in schools, support of local
communities, contacts with municipalities and other organizations. They show a
very good dynamism. In comparison,  I have to say that in Canada we not only
have a blank map, we also have a blank participation. I would also like to see
criticisms about imports accompanied with more suggestions to improve.
Otherwise, it is just killing the OSM project.

Pierre