(sorry wrong from: address again..)

In the US, we use a hierarchy of network classifications instead. For instance,
Interstate 80 would be network=US:I, ref=80, role=east/west depending on if
it’s an eastbound / westbound carriageway. This is a really neat and tidy way
of organizing route relations. Has this been common practice in Canada as well
or something to consider?

Example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/280678 for I-80 in Utah

Martijn

—  Martijn van Exel