As I've always understood it, highway=trunk is used for core routes in document
(a) that Daniel mentioned.  It ignores routes marked as feeder and
northern/remote.  highway=primary is for each province's network of primary
highways that aren't motorways or trunks.
I don't exactly agree with the above definitions but they were already in place
when I got here so I've been using them.  For one thing, document (a) was
published in 2005, and things change.  I'm also not entirely comfortable with
the fact that the most a city-maintained road could ever hope for is secondary.
 Toronto's Black Creek Drive should, in my mind at least, have a higher
classification than Highway 108 north of Elliot Lake.  In general, OSM higways
should be based on how important they are to the overall road network,
independent of any official classification.
On the other hand...  I kinda like the way Canadian cities look with their
simple networks of orange thoroughfares.  London, Paris and Washington are an
incomprehensible mess of roads with varying classifications which don't seem to
be of benefit to the end user.  The eight-level hierarchy of highway
classifications OSM gives us to work with is overkill.  At least Canada is
consistent, which is more than can be said for a lot of countries.  Plus
there's so much that needs to be added to the map that I don't see tinkering
with highway classifications as a priority.
So here's what I suggest: the definitions above are good guidelines but need
not be followed religiously.  If anyone thinks a specific road should be
promoted or demoted, let's discuss it here and make it happen.
As for the wiki pages.  In (b), Canada is listed twice.  I think the entire
lower row can be deleted and the upper row still stands.  Maybe a note could be
added saying there is some flexibility to the trunk/primary guidelines.
In (c), the section on trunk roads should be changed.  Trunk roads do not need
to be limited access.  Most of them are not.  I also don't think people should
be told to tag anything surface=paved/unpaved.  Instead surface should be
whatever it is (asphalt, concrete, gravel, etc).  The "Sub-national and below"
section needs to be rewritten or copied over from (b).

And now you have my two cents too.  Comments?