1. the restriction was a login(zero minute) block to grab users attention
after multiple attempts trying to contact:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/YueYuan/history#map=18/45.35567/-75.75291
so once they login and view the message they can edit again

2. They have not been editing just around Carleton Campus, there have been
students editing out on baseline and other areas of Ottawa

3. I've been trying to fix them, but at 1000+ changesets this is going to
be a monumental task.

I'm not trying to stop your students from contributing, but when they
simply ignore advice we try to give them to correct said actions(kept
contributing after multiple changeset comments: they get an email per
changeset comment) we need a higher power(admins) to step in so we can
discuss like human beings.