Tracey,

      It takes a lot of time and effort to map a university campus completely.
Especially if you want to use the data for multi-modal routing, e.g., walking
directions, driving directions, etc.  Small changes can completely destroy a
carefully constructed network of streets and footpaths.  I can understand the
local Ottawa mappers being protective of their hard work. To avoid this problem
in the future here are some suggestions:

1.  Choose a location that is completely unmapped.  There are many locations
around the world that are unmapped or severely under-mapped.  Novice mapping in
these areas will not damage hours of work by dedicated OSM volunteers.  But
care is still necessary even in under-mapped areas. We don't want to export our
problems to another community.
2.  Download OSM data for the City of Ottawa and have your students edit
against a local copy of the database.  I don't know how complex it would be to
setup editing for a local copy of the OSM data. Perhaps some other mappers can
provide some input.
3.  Instead of editing OSM data stick to analysis. Teach students how to
extract statistics from the OSM database
4.  Provide better training to the students so their edits to the OSM database
do not cause problems.
5.  Skip OSM and do some exercises in QGIS or ArcGIS Online.

Best regards,
Bernie.
berniejconnors

Sent from my iPad