My two cents.

I think what James said  is the same everywhere. The name field on the way
usually carry the local name, the one given by the local authorities (town,
province).  If you Google Streetview local signs, that is the name you usually
see in the area. However the relation “attaching” all the pieces of road should
be called “Trans-Canada Highway” and you can standardise that one.

With regards to the type of road, should reflect the physical and use
characteristics of the stretch of road. Motorway is ONLY for a proper motorway
with no intersection, stop, light, etc. A lot if not most of the Trans-Canada
is not made of motorways. Trunk is a good choice is this road is a really major
road for the area. Primary might still make sense … must consider locally.

Works of caution with Trunk, it leaves the bicycle access field unspecified and
that screws-up some routing engines, so if you change a primary/secondary to
Trunk PLEASE explicitly set the bicycle=yes tag (unless it is explicitly not
allowed). Since by default it is “unspecified”  I have seen many routing
engines erring on the side of cautiousness and assume it is NO. Most of the
time it is actually YES. In Quebec a large portion of the 117 up north is
actually part of the Route Verte and as such bicycle=designated is even used
although the way is a trunk road. Cyclist can safely use the wide shoulders in
those areas (most of the time…).

I think the ref field on the way must reflect the local numbering ile. 117,
417, etc. If the Trans-Canada highway has another numbering on top of that then
put that one in the relation, not the way.

This may be confusing when compared to the US interstate system which is more
standardized I think. Here in Canada the Trans-Canada get some federal funding
but the roads remain administered locally for the most part. The OSM relation
is really the place to tag all related to the Trans-Canada Highway proper, and
the way remains the properties of the local authorities… hope that makes any
sense.

Cheers.