John, especially in light that we both volunteer in a wonderful organization
like OSM, I consider neither of us poor.  Truly, I mean that.

It wouldn't be "confused" that I might be.  It would be much more leaning
towards, if not firmly in, the camp of "abbreviating in OSM key:value pairs is
frowned upon because it maps backwards incompletely."  That is a fair
logical/mathematical/linguistic/database point.  Getting line-renderers to pay
attention to short_name or alt_name or local_name or coalesce on something
sensible, sure, that's a happy place.  I'd love to see a transport renderer
that is wicked-smart with v2 and even v3 savvy colors, naming, routes and a
"visual pop" that a good map does simply as you look at it.  That starts with
good tagging including good discussion about tagging.  Simple as walking.

Politics aside and whether hordes flee JDT or not, I am talking about good
tagging in OSM as transport networks and how they are named and "get smart"
really is happening all over Earth.  Good protocols to "we're all paying
attention together" works.  Whether ISO/UN/IEEE or other acronyms and how a
committee really can get the phones to connect and the trains running on time,
the ideas behind "let's agree on good language and tagging..." work, this is
simply being good neighbors.  A big human family sharing a map acts like a big
human family sharing a map.  We seem to continue to do that here in talk-ca,
talk-us and so on.  Thank you.

SteveA
California