I was surprised this morning when I saw that a chunk of buildings had been
imported in Victoria, BC. The changeset linked to the wiki plan and I then
checked my email and saw this email chain.

The "local" (in this case the Canadian community) has not been sufficiently
consulted. Looking back in the mailing list, there were some tangential
discussions about some things related to this import (mostly without any final
consensus), and then a single email stating that the import plan had been
created and sent off to the imports list
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/2018-November/008864.html).
After that, nothing. I can't find any emails related to this import that were
linked to both the imports and talk-ca list, nor are there any that bring back
the results from the imports list for those who aren't following that. There
also wasn't any notification that the import was actually going ahead. I'd
consider all of this to be a major failure of the "Community Buy-in" section of
the Import/Guidelines.

For such a major import, we should be going above-and-beyond to make sure every
possible aspect has been addressed adequately. The lack of confidence from the
general OSM community as a result of the botched import in Ottawa and the
ongoing dislike of our CANVEC imports means we need to treat this import with
kid gloves. We should be striving to ensure that there's no reason why someone
could look at this import and find faults with it. That may seem like a lofty
goal, but we're talking about a building import for the second-largest country
in the world.

Once the administrative portions are dealt with and the community has been
sufficiently consulted, the technical area needs to be looked at. Now that I've
seen some of the data in action, there are various issues that need to be dealt
with. Some that became immediately apparent on the data imported in Victoria,
BC include:
-A significant number of unsquare buildings (JOSM validator reports this as an
Other/Building with an almost square angle). Of an estimated 935 buildings in
this chunk, 692 have almost-square angles. Looking more closely and running the
JOSM Orthogonalize tool on a sampling of buildings, I believe all of them have
unsquare angles. This may be the result of rounding errors in data conversion
and should be fixed in the source data before importing.
-Inconsistent tagging (some houses are building=yes, some are
building=detached)
-A need for simplification (extra nodes in nearly-straight segments that are
straight in reality)

I'd suggest the following plan:
1. Update the tasking manager to indicate in clear terms that this import is on
hold and no data should be imported at this time. Ideally, the tasking manager
should be taken down entirely so no data can be imported.
2. Send a clear, unambiguous email to the talk-ca list indicating that this
import is being planned and to solicit feedback.
3. Wait. THIS IS IMPORTANT! The community needs to be given time to see that
this import is being planned, and to discuss the many aspects related to it.
For such a major import, silence-as-tacit-acceptance doesn't fly. There are
local communities out there that need to be brought in to the process. If
necessary, figure out who the active contributors are in various jurisdictions
and contact them directly.
4. Figure out the technical details. It's only after the import had already
started that people are now talking about conflation and data quality. These
need to be figured out, a plan documented, and the source data cleaned. Tags
also need to be clarified. The current wiki plan gives almost no guidance about
how to actually perform the import.
5. Only after all of the above has been figured out, let the community know
that the import is actually going ahead.

Come on, people. We can do a lot better than this, and definitely should. Let's
make this a shining example of why imports can be a good thing for OSM, not
provide fodder for those opposed to them.

Andrew Lester
Victoria, BC