I found the building footprints to be very good. JOSM cleaned up most of
the errors..I'm not sure it would be worth the risk to do more processing.
Sometimes there were crossing ways, usually with  terrace or buildings in
the downtown core that need to be fixed manually. Which took a ton of time.
I always removed all the errors from import buildings before I added the
OSM data.

 I also keeped the city name on the imported data so I could tell which was
the imported data/ OSM data. I removed the city name later before
uploading. If there was already a building in OSM, I used the "Replace
Geometry" unless the building in OSM was better. Sometimes , the local
mapper had done a better job than the city, so I just left it.The building
in the Niagara Region had tons of very good buildings that I just left.

I also tired to fixed other JOSM errors, Like adding road names, missing
tags, spelling error, natural=land ect.  Using Geo Base I added about 300
names to roads mostly around  Muskoka and Goderich. This usually took more
time than adding the buildings.

I would say adding buildings in rural, residential, & Industrial areas
there is low risk for problems. The downtown areas even in small
cities Port Colborne were very time consuming and require an experienced
mapper.. Personally I wouldn't even want to try downtown Toronto.

FYI,  The top 3 CDN OSM mappers are importing the building data.
http://osmstats.neis-one.org/?item=countries&country=Canada

Cheers

John