Mapping buildings in iD can be done accurately, however going back in time
to the Nepal earthquake generally speaking they were really poor quality.
Pierre first took an interest in data quality around this time.  Well he
was interested before but grew more vocal.  As part of 2020 a number of
mapathons were organised as part of Geoweek using students and iD.  The
results were not pretty and were commented on in talk-ca.  These mapathons
for the most part did not have an experienced OSM mapper to guide them.  I
did one but cheated I took a couple of laptops with JOSM on and we only
used the buildings_tool.  For new mappers they did quite a nice job.  I
have done a fair amount of validation on HOT projects typically I saw 5 -7
buildings per mapper per mapathon done using iD.

Canada is fairly large so many locations do not have a group of OSM
mappers.  Peterborough Ontario, pop 80,000 for example, there is a related
mapathon happening there March 2nd with some students.  However I don't
think there are any local OSM mappers and I can't get there by train or bus
by the time it starts in the morning.

It's these smaller locations that are the problem.  Sorting out the
license, going through the OSM import process and setting up a tile server
takes resources and its these locations are the ones that simply don't have
the experienced mappers available to do the tasks.  The other problem is
students.  France I think thinks all its students should be familiar with
OpenStreetMap so there is interest in the education world.  What we have
found is if the building outlines are present then it is much easier for
students etc to add detail and that is basically what has happened in
Ottawa.

There is a range of points of view about what is acceptable.  The larger
the group, the wider the range and the more difficult it is to get
consensus.  In Ottawa the local mappers are more than happy with the data
quality on the import.

The City of Toronto Open Data licence was submitted for approval by the
local Toronto group must be two years ago now.  So at that time there was a
definite interest by local mappers in using Toronto's open data.

I think I agree with you about running mechanical edits on the data before
importing.  I think Pierre found that using JOSM neither squaring nor the
plugin worked perfectly in all cases.

The way forward probably I suggest an opt out method.  Those locations that
have a local group who would prefer more control we block out.  At the
moment this would include Toronto and Montreal.  That way smaller
municipalities can take advantage of the infrastructure that has been set
up but larger locations with local groups can make their own decisions.

I seem to recall the project plan actually does allow for this.  The
intention certainly was that local groups would sort out the import locally.

Cheerio John