with importing that part of the data? I'd certainly look for more mappers to
discuss with if I decide to move on to more of Alberta.

--Joshua

On 2019-04-22 15:15, john whelan wrote:
For building footprints there are two sources of open data that are correctly
licensed.  One is Microsoft's building footprints and the other is the Stat Can
released data.  The Stats Canada data is basically the municipal data released
under the federal government's licence.

I suggest you first check with James and ask him if your city's data is in the
Stat Can data set.

The next step having sorted out a source of open data that has an approved
licence is to work out a process to include the data.

There is a single import of the Stat Can buildings in progress.  However a
Toronto mapper took exception to a million buildings being added mainly in the
West of Canada and asked the DWG to remove them.

A group of three mappers are looking at ways to "cleanse" the data using open
source software.  Once they have arrived at an agreed acceptable solution then
I assume the Canada wide building import will continue in some way.

So you can hang on or you can submit your own import plan.  To do this the
local mappers have to be in agreement.  In Ottawa this meant we met over coffee.

Then you need to formally write up an import plan in the wiki.  Submit it to
the import mailing list and answer any queries they may have.  In this case
Nate will probably say it is already covered in the current Canada wide import
plan so why introduce yet another plan.  It also has to be listed somewhere or
other as an import.

It also has to be discussed in this mailing group.

The City of Ottawa was kind enough to adopt the municipal version of the
federal government's open data licence.  It took about five years from start to
finish to get them to be nice and adopt it.  It has been formally approved by
the legal working group.  If you can get your city to adopt the same licence
great.  In Ottawa it meant we could bring in bus stops etc.

Any other licence should either be approved by the Legal Working Group or you
can put your own interpretation on it.  If challenged at a later date your
imported data could be removed so I don't recommend this route.

In short if you have a couple of local mappers in agreement that they would
like to import the data, and if it is available via Stat Can and they find the
data quality acceptable then ask to be permitted to import it on this mailing
list.  James maybe able to assist.  Only if this route is not available should
you think about doing something else.

Cheerio John

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 3:42 PM Joshua Kenney,