This morning I checked some large cities namely New-York, Paris, Amsterdam,
London, Berlin. Since OSM is best developed in Europe these capitals make
sense. I just checked Tokyo, Shangai, Seoul, Sydney to sample Asia. None of
them have this sidewalk mapping as separate ways. I however found a bit of that
scheme in San-Francisco.  I am not sure where this idea is coming from, who is
backing this implementation and who it does service to, but it sure is a mess
in many ways. And when the people adding that stuff will go away, who will
maintain that complexity, the volunteers ? The use of tags as you suggest would
be much cleaner and easier. The OSM database is used by a large community of
navigation apps that will all have to deal with this one way or another to
still provide meaningful navigation prompts that are not just like “walk on
path, in 100m turn left on path, in 300m turn right on path", perhaps by
filtering out these ways from their apps, I really don’t know. Otherwise
everybody will move to Google Maps which sure won’t bother with that stuff.
Anyhow, have to go back to self-quarantine, I feel a fever :-)

Happy mapping.