On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I think the original poster was not complaining about any particular
> aspect of "Potlatch the software" that could be improved, even if he
> were a Flash programmer. I think this is just the umpteenth instance of
> "we don't want any more newbies in our project ... or at least I don't
> want them modify MY data".
>
> Newbies tend to make mistakes and they tend to use Potlatch. It is not
> Potlatch that induces mistakes.
>
> My take is that we need newbies because if we'd stop growing, or even
> switch to linear growth, we'll never complete the earth in my lifetime.
> But to those who are content with having completed their village, this
> might not seem such an important goal.

Getting changesets of API 0.6 probably helps a bit here. So going forward
with the stuff already in development is the right thing here. Newcomers
will always make errors. This cannot be prevented. The only solution is to
get a better interface to remove vandalism and an easier way to fix errors
introduced by newcomers.

When the new API is working, the editor-programs will need a lot of new
stuff in this area to make it usable (revert changesets, load changesets
to allow fixing problems without total reverts, ...), but I see no general
problems here.

Ciao