... continuing a private conversation with Joosep-Georg on the list ...

Joosep-Georg wrote:
> André wrote:
> > The other one is that actually the administrative borders do not end
> > at the coastline, but reach into the sea. Correcting all those
> > borders will end up in a whole lot of work -- that's why I've only
> > done this change for the county level.
> Yes, that's what I'm thinking of -- the counties and boroughs do not
> end at coast but where to get the reference where to place the
> borders on the sea? If there is such reference I could start the work.

At least for the county level I decided to put a sea-boundary by myself.
IMO we don't need too official boundaries there. Those sea-boundaries
are only relevant in case of islands belonging to some administrative
entity. I assume that the municipalities do not have too many rights on
"their" part of the sea.

So in a way one could even consider it to be correct that the
non-national boundaries are at the coastline.

I propose to try to divide the "available" sea by similar rules as for
national sea borders, i.e. rectangular line from the higher level (lower
admin_level) sea-border to the neighbouring point. If there are islands
they need to be fit into the multipolygon area. Between two opposing
points split in the middle.

At least I have seen similar rules applied in other regions of the
world. E.g. http://osm.org/go/0Jqo8Hw-- [actually some details in this
example look quite odd to me]

> PS. Can we take this conversation to talk-ee list so maybe also
> others could get some piece of information from it?

Of course ... you're welcome to contact me via the list. I might even be
able to read some Estonian, but I prefer to answer in English.

Andre
--
Winning isn't the end of the world.