OK, I did a little more reading.... but it turns out that the actual order (
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2022/37/note/made ) simply says 'the
new ward boundaries are those shown on the map in the Commission's office
... and here's a link to an electronic version of the same map'.... which
is the one I already used as my reference to make the OSM edits.
(It's just as OS StreetView map.... not especially detailed)

And it says 'Where a boundary is shown on the map as running along a road,
railway line, footway, watercourse or similar geographical feature, it is
to be treated as running along the centre line of the feature.'

... which is how I tagged it.
The railway line in question was dual track, so I drew a boundary line in
the middle between the two tracks.
Where the road in question was drawn as a dual carriageway on OSM, I drew a
boundary line in between the two ways.