I'm not very familiar with Reading, but generally if I am adding detail to
any area of mapping, I will draw in pavements and pedestrian crossings as
seperate 'ways'.
Quite often that's because there's a particular signposted walking/hiking
route that I'm tagging, and it's a bit daft to tag these as going down the
middle of a road (particularly busy main road junctions, where there's
usualy a particular set of crossing walkers need to use).
It's also comes up when mapping cycle routes, which can often involve
'shared pavements'.
But more generally, I don't think maps should just be for car drivers :)