Hi Clive,

Welcome to OSM! I started in Reading way back in 2005, and am answering as
someone who doesn't have a car...

Personally I think separate ways are a plague, unless there is a really
clear physical separation of what is effectively a footpath, or as David
says a signposted and quite separate shared cycling/walking path. In most
cases there's no discernible difference in the geometry of pavements from
the carriageway and we have tags to indicate whether there are pavements on
one/both sides of the carriageway. Adding extra ways either side clutters
up the database. It's a shame the sidewalk tags don't show up on the
default OSM style, but we don't add data to game that style.

I've noticed someone added a few pavements-as-footways in my local patch.
It just looks odd as they don't exist on most roads on the area, so it
implies there's something different going on there. Which there isn't.

Tom

m: 07866 447 075
w: http://tomchance.org