"The city council in late 2012 voted almost unanimously in favour of a
city-wide 20mph speed limit to improve pedestrian safety, lessen
traffic congestion and reduce pollution. The roll out of 20mph speed
limits across Birmingham will begin in the city centre and inner city
wards despite resident objections, it has been announced."
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/20mph-zones-birmingham-rolled-out-6800676

In Luxembourg, we used a similar roll-out of speed limits to
completely map the speed limits in the city, following the council
quarter by quarter as they rolled out the restrictions. Shall we try
to do the same in Birmingham?

These are the speed restrictions as we have them now:
http://www.itoworld.com/map/5?lon=-1.85152&lat=52.45019&zoom=12&fullscreen=true

By the way, what is the scope of a speed restriction sign in the UK?
Is the sign valid until the next crossing, or until the next sign
indicating a change of speed? I have seen both systems used in other
countries.

-- Matthijs