Confused. Are the maps suggesting that any road within the area that is not
otherwise coloured will become 20 mph?

Of interest those maps are Ordnance Survey's StreetView product, which is
one of the products that is available under OS OpenData licence and we can
use it in OpenStreetMap. This raises an interesting question - if BCC
created this map using only the OS StreetView map, can they just give us
the go ahead to use their data without having to worry about OS licensing?
I would say yes.

Anyway, best leave this one to Brian for now.