On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Ed Loach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> > I was under the impression that the local authorities generally
> > used an OS
> > base map, so their own data may well be derived from the OS
> > data.
>
> A few years ago now (5 or 6) the bungalow next door was knocked down
> and two put on the plot in it's place. After they were built, an OS
> surveyor knocked on our door to ask permission to survey the new
> properties relative to ours

He didn't need to ask permission either.  The Ordnance Survey Act of 1841
gives him the right to "from time to time, after notice in writing of the
intention ... to enter into and upon any estate or property of any county
... for the purpose of making and carrying on any survey..."

The full scoop is here:
http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=98&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=1149277&activetextdocid=1149281