On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com> wrote:

> For some time we (at ITO) have being planning to do a thematic mapping
> view of these un-loved places by combining the census data and OSM
> data. Each census output area covers about 100 households so there
> must be able 300,000 of them so it is very detailed. The idea would be
> to check that there are roads in each OA and to look at the ratio of
> roads/people in each  area. We would then produce a thematic map for
> the UK showing where there were people but no roads in OSM. Would that
> be useful? I would need to check but it is my understanding that there
> are no copyright issues with doing this and anyway we are not using it
> to map from we are using it to tell us where to map.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ONS_coding_system

Ed Johnson here at CloudMade did a lot of work along these lines over
the summer, building models of road length vs population density from
census data. The biggest problem is that the boundaries of the output
areas (whichever classification - super output areas etc) are all OS
derived, and therefore we can't make a map which is derived from both
OS and OSM. Which is a pity, because it looks quite nice and useful!

Cheers,
Andy