On 12 Dec 2008, at 09:13, Steve Hill wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> I have been working on adding wiki pages for every County and Unitary
>> Authority in the UK (there are 140 in total) so that we have a
>> consistent place to add this sort of information. There were articles
>> for some and there are about 19 added so far. Could people add county
>> pages for their areas and and use this for a hit-list section of
>> wanted places?:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:County_in_England
>
> Just a thought, but UK != England - might it be an idea to rename
> this page, or is the plan to create separate pages for Wales,
> Scotland, Northern Ireland...?

I agree GB != UK != England.

This list is called 'talk-GB' but in the description it is described
as "General discussion for UK users"
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo

I think GB is probably right for this list (ie england, scotland and
wales) so can someone change the description? Northern Ireland is
geographically part of Ireland so should be covered in the Ireland list.

As for 'counties in England' I don't have a strong view. Should it me
counties in GB or should we have different ones?

>> Do remember that the local councils might be interested themselves.
>> There is growing official awareness that OSM exists and might be
>> useful to them. That is one reason why I am building the local
>> authority pages.
>
> I'm not sure why the councils would use OSM - as far as I know the
> councils' internal systems (e.g. highways department, etc) are
> heavilly based on OS maps with the council's own layers overlaid.
> This means (as I interpret it):
>
> 1. The council's own layers are derived from OS maps so could never
> be integrated with OSM
> 2. Since the councils have to publish their maps they presumably
> already have a licence from OS to do so, so using OSM *as well*
> won't save them money.
> 3. Like it or not, OS maps are usually more detailed than OSM - most
> (all?) areas in OSM don't map detail like where the running lanes of
> a road end and the walkway begins and few areas have individual
> buildings mapped.  For example, zoom into some of the residential
> streets on: http://maps.swansea.gov.uk/localview/OnTheMap.aspx
>
> I'd be pretty interested to hear another side to the argument
> though. :)

We all know about the OS licencing issues and so do councils! There is
a real bun-fight between the OS Google and councils over licencing.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/20/ordnance-survey-google-maps

I am frequently invited to talk about OSM to council people and did so
again last month. Last week I was demonstrating progress with OSM to
people at the DfT. Here is a research project that we are part of
(paid for by the DfT and other departments) that is looking at the
whole user-generated content area to help the government see how it
should engage.
http://ideasintransit.wikia.com/wiki/Ideas_in_transit

Here are all the projects I know of that relate to OSM and are within
scope of the project. Would anyone like to add content to OSM related
articles on the ideas in transit wiki? It would be great to have some
of these articles updated.
http://ideasintransit.wikia.com/wiki/Category:OpenStreetMap

Regards,

Peter