I have been looking at the coverage of maxspeed limit data for highways in the UK and we seem to have a right mix of styles.

Here is the data for bug chunk of England while avoiding including anything from France or Ireland (which would include km/hour figure). We current have over 17,000 highway ways tagged with maxspeed and also 300 ways tagged as 'maxspeed:mph'. You will notice that for 30 miles per hour we have 30, 30mph, 30 mph, 48.2, 48.28, 48.280, 48.27808, 48.28032 and 48.28.

Any suggestion on what we should recommend for the UK? I guess the USA should also be party to this discussion but they have far less population of the maxspeed field (only 70 uses in the Bay area) so possibly we should come to a view first. Our options seem to be:-
maxspeed=30mph (the user should strip a trailing mph to find the value)
maxspeed=30 (leaving it for the user to realise that it is in the UK and therefore imperial) maxspeed=30 mph (the user should strip the last word if it is mph including the space)
maxspeed:mph=30 (Easy for the user)
maxspeed=48.28 (with a defined precision) For metric use no work by the user, for imperial use a look-up table is required or a conversion and rounding

Here is what we have at the moment for 'Mid England' including London, Portsmouth, Bristol, B'ham up to Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds etc) starting with the most popular:-

30mph   5185
48.0000000      4155
20mph   1282
64.0000000      922