There is no right answer. If you tag things 40mph (which is what I do,
like most of the other people who've replied) then you may well find
that someone else goes round systematically changing them to km/h and
puts in maxspeed:mph - that's what's happened to most of the ones I've
done. I think it's being done with an occasional bot enforcing one
user's opinion over the original mapper's.

Given there are, as usual, as many opinions as there are contributors,
and the rule we have, unfortunately IMO, is that there are no rules, the
only way this will be solved is for consumers to understand all the
reasonable variations.

I also came across someone tagging maxpeed=NSL yesterday. If it gives
someone happiness, fine, but I don't really think it should be necessary
to tag the default situation, only when there is an exception to the
general rule.

David