Streets certainly get postcoded differently on opposite sides of the
street - one just has to look at the street name signs (as used by
Rushcliffe BC) to see that.
Also it's certainly possible where one street has multiple postcodes
that the splits happen in different places on different sides of the
street) it's even possible that two houses adjecant to one another
connected to the street by a shared use path have different postcodes.
As postcodes are related to dwellings and businesses but not streets
(at least in the uk) would in not make more sense to add the postcode
and associated properties into a single relation? Adding area,
district, and sector to the postcode would make it trivial to find
every property in ng ng2 or "ng2 7".

On 03/07/2009, Steve Hill <st...@nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, WessexMario wrote:
>
>> A lowest level postcode (SN13_2PQ) is not unique for a node, as multiple
>> dwellings will have the same postcode, so this leads to having multiple
>> tags for what is essentially a single data item, a postcoded area of land.
>
> It should be unique to a way (or part of a way) though.
>
>> Marking postcodes on a way could be problematic, as there can be
>> different postcodes on opposite sides of a road.
>
> Really?  I've not come across that - if a street has more than one
> post code, doesn't it just get split along its length?
>
> If you really do get different post codes on opposite sides, you could
> have a postcode:left and postcode:right type pair of tags though.
>
>   - Steve
>     xmpp:st...@nexusuk.org   sip:st...@nexusuk.org   http://www.nexusuk.org/
>
>       Servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum - Whisper, Evanescence

Sent from my mobile device