I see what you are saying WM but until we get enough nodes with postcodes we
can not see the area covered by it.

If I was to record the postcode for each house in my village I would be able
to draw up a correct map but how to interpret this data is the hard bit
because for a gps device it would be nice to drive right to the front door
of the house. In the village where I live houses that share the same
postcode are spread out and are named not numbered so my resoning for using
nodes is valid in this context.

Btw I did get a response from a copyright lawyer but he agreed but not to a
level where I am happy continuing atm. Will dig a bit more for now.

Jack Stringer

On Jul 3, 2009 10:14 AM, "WessexMario" <wessexmario-...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> By putting the Postcode in we are supply OSM with the postcode to be >>
able to give that street...
Postcodes are organised in hierarchical areas, so should really be
mapped with enclosed areas, like administrative boundaries, rather than
on nodes or ways.
eg:
SN contains SN1, SN2, SN3
SN1 contains SN13, SN14, SN15
SN13 contains SN13_1AB, SN13_2PQ

A lowest level postcode (SN13_2PQ) is not unique for a node, as multiple
dwellings will have the same postcode, so this leads to having multiple
tags for what is essentially a single data item, a postcoded area of land.

Marking postcodes on a way could be problematic, as there can be
different postcodes on opposite sides of a road.