James Davis wrote:
> I'd like to add some local, unoffical cycle routes to OSM

Unless there's some marking on the ground to show these routes, it's
probably better not to add them to the main OSM DB. There are a number
of problems with unofficial routes:

* There's no way of someone outside the group verifying the data is
correct, since there's no signposts or other markings to check against.

* If the group that created the routes has already published them in
some form, it would be a copyright violation to include them in OSM
without specific permission -- including the terms of CC-BY-SA (or ODBL).

* It's also the thin end of the wedge. I know dozens of unofficial
off-road rides near where I live, but none of them have any status other
 than they're where I like to ride. If I put my routes in, and everyone
else did the same, the DB would be swamped with data that meant nothing
to the majority of its users.

I believe the generally accepted test is whether there are signs on the
route itself.

You're welcome to publish OSM-based maps that show where the routes go
-- Kosmos is a good place to start if you're a Windows user -- but
adding it to the DB is probably a step too far.

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)