Chris Hill <o...@...> writes:

>Please don't import the Draco database into OSM.  The quality is very
>dubious in places.  The original FoIA data that it is based on is very,
>very general.  They have to be surveyed on the ground to confirm that
>they are even within 200m.

I acknowledge your and Andy Allan's concerns.  I will do some auditing on
the data (by comparing non-OSM-based Dracos data with what's currently in OSM)
and report back.

There are several different components to the Dracos data which can be
imported separately.  Where a Dracos user has simply added info such as
collection times to an existing postbox node that came from OSM, this is
more likely to be reliable.  If a postbox exists in the Dracos list but is
not in OSM at all, then at a minimum this indicates an area to be surveyed.
I do not propose to uncritically suck all the Dracos postbox data into OSM
but rather to reconcile the two with plenty of sanity checks.

In my test import of E10 and E17, almost all of the changes were adding
information to existing OSM postbox nodes, with only a handful of missing
postboxes to add (which I am happy to survey myself).  Where Dracos and OSM
disagree, the OSM data is left alone.

Anyway, I'll let you know the results of the audit; if the location data
really is as bad as you say, I won't enter it into OSM.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>