While searching the internet for arbitration in a case where "local
wisdom" appeared to conflict with OSM data I came across the Kent County
Council Highways Gazetteer. It contains a "complete" list of roads in
Kent, including their reference, road number, name, official
classification, parish and length.

It's a PDF file, linked from here:
http://www.kent.gov.uk/roads_and_transport/transport_policies/road_status/adopted_and_private_streets.aspx

I would like to use this document to classify minor roads correctly as
"unclassified" or "tertiary", add the official road number, at least to
the "tertiary" roads, i.e. C-roads, and possibly "access=permissive"
where the road is a privately maintained road (assuming unhindered
access etc. as described on the Wiki).

There is no sign of any OS-encumbrances; there is no real location
information in the file. The KCC (together with district councils I
assume) can be considered a fairly authoritative source for this
information.

Would it be OK to derive tagging in this way? Should we get explicit
permission from KCC first? Anyone got any experience with this, or
example emails for this kind of request?

Colin