Are you sure that you're following the official NCR1 through Medway, Peter?
Admittedly there are a few motorcycle inhibitors, but I've been able to take
a bike loaded with four panniers through there quite easily. I assume that
you turn your handlebars 45 degrees to pass through the motorcycle
inhibitors? (Oh, and if you're riding a tandem then I know that that's an
exception to the rule...).

Gregory