(Newbie alert!! - another try without the HTML setting) I suspect this
has been discussed before, but it seems to me that there is a big hole
in open source mapping, and that is getting hold of definitive maps in
electronic form to be able to document them.

I presume that the definitive map is a public document that should be
freely available. (???!!!)

What I am interested in is the gaps between the footpaths people
recognise and those which are registered on the definitive lists as
there is a deadline in around 10 years for getting missing paths registered.

I know local authorities are responsible for the definitive maps in
their areas. Is it practical to contact the LAs and get definitive maps
in electronic form, or is there a central source (knowing that OS have
not released this). If there is a problem, is there an opportunity to
work with the Ramblers Assoc to get definitive way mapping released?

I've read the tagging "controversy" and it seems there is a lack of
finality on tagging - is there anyone trying to resolve this? In the
end, only the OS maps seem to have legal status, but they aren't
releasing footpaths :(

Anyway, just off for some Coast to Coast cycling...

Cheers!

Spenny