On 1 Jun 2010, at 12:18, Ed Avis wrote:

> Peter Miller <peter.mil...@...> writes:
>
>> We have created a map layer for Potlatch showing OS Locator names
>> which are not in the nearby OSM data in a nice visual way.
>
>> Note our proposed 'not:name' tag for suppressing errors in OS Locator
>> data.
>
> I have sometimes used incorrect_name for noting mistakes in street
> names.
> The intention was that if somebody tagged it wrongly, it's likely that
> somebody could also do a search for the incorrect name.  OSM search
> engines
> might want to use incorrect_name for a 'did you mean...' suggestion.
>
> It might be useful to distinguish slight spelling mistakes (such as
> the
> "Arthurs Close" mentioned) against cases where OS has a totally
> different
> name for the same bit of street.  For variant spellings, there is no
> harm
> in adding  them all as incorrect_name, alt_name or whatever.  But I
> would
> not want an OSM search engine to pick up names which are known to be
> quite wrong.

Not that the OS version of 'Arthur's Terrace' misses the 'R' as well
as the apostrophe! ie 'Athurs Terrace'. I would expect a search to
ignore apostrophe's but not 'R's!

incorrect_name is also fine (but we don't use it at present); if that
one is the recommended practice for the community then we will use it.
Possibly neither have been used extensively yet and we should talk
about what we want. Personally I like the use of ':' because it is the
way other tags create a formal hierarchy, for example source:name;
'Not' also has the advantage of being shorter.

Regards,

Peter