On 1 June 2010 15:43, TimSC <mapp...@sheerman-chase.org.uk> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to find the tile reference for a given area. I
> have found what I need so far by trial and error, but with 400 tiles
> it can be a bit of a pain.
>
> --
> Philip Stubbs
>

> Philip,
>
> A quick sketch on the method to go from tile filename to coordinates. Say we
> use the filename su85se.tiff. The "su" part, the "85" part and the "se" part
> each give a different northing and easting offset. The must be summed to get
> the final bottom left corner position.
>
> The first offset is basically coarse grid letter offset and is found in a
> look up table. The codes are arranged like this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:National_Grid_for_Great_Britain_with_central_meridian.gif
>
> The "85" is an intermediate offset, I think it is 8x10000 metres east and
> 5x10000 metres north.
>
> The final code can be se, sw, ne, nw for a fine tile offset. The "n" sheets
> are offset north by 5000m. The "e" sheets are offset east by 5000m.
>
> Each tile is 5000m by 5000m, as far as I remember so you can get the
> coordinates of the other corners.
>
> Re-reading your question, I guess you really want the inverse of what I just
> described? I hope that helps a little anyway.
>
> TimSC

Thanks Tim.

I had worked out that there was some logic to the tile numbers. Having
downloaded the tiles for SU, I wanted to find the tile that contained
Warsash. Each tile only covers a small area, so I opened tiles until I
recognised an area. Then I tried others near that one to see which way
they went. Now I have found Warsash, I can work my may through that
tile and the ones beside it with ease. I really asked the question for
when or if others start to use the tiles also.

Philip Stubbs