I believe the StreetView tiles are offset south(ish) by a few metres in
East Yorkshire too. Reprojected shape files line up well with surveyed
data. I have traced a few buildings from StreetView but I've stopped
until I had worked out what was wrong. Now given other people's comments
I do think there may be some discrepancy.

Would a few carefully surveyed road junctions with many GPS traces to
work from help to identify any discrepancy? Or is there a better way?

Cheers, Chris