Sooooo... I take that to mean that I should really be using the correct *.prj
file, rather than gdal's inbuilt datum?

Tim

--- On Sun, 30/5/10, Jerry Clough - OSM <sk53_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

From: Jerry Clough - OSM <sk53_...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Offsets between OS and OSM data (was Building with
mapseg)
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Date: Sunday, 30 May, 2010, 12:30

Hi Tim,

Yes there is, at least with the version of GDAL I use. Chillly has written
about this on his blog, and the changes needed (adding Helmert transformations
- -sound fancy doesn't it) to the standard projection are noted in previous
messages here in talk-gb.

I think the divergence is much greater on the E of the country: probably why
Chilly and I worried most about it. Even with these the accuracy compared with
the OSGB02 will be upto 5 metres out. See OS Coordinate Systems Guide.

Jerry

PS. StreetView and OSM seem to match up quite well for Nottingham. I've just
rendered a set of tiles in OSGB36 of the same scale and boundaries as
StreetView which
 at least removes some of the projection transformation artefacts.