On 14 Jun 2010, at 15:11, David Groom wrote:

> [...]

Just to let people know that we are listening to the conversation even
though I am not contributing today.

I do get the impression that apostrophes are in more of a muddle
across street signs/OSM and the OS than other aspects of the data and
I do think that we should continue to record the name on the street
sign as the primary name and highlight the differences between that
and OS Locator.

I suggest we continue to flag alternative versions for which there is
no proven valid usage using not:name but where an alternative official
name is found (ie in the legal name or a past name or even one in
local usage) then we should put that in alt:name.

One limitation from our side at present is that the primary author of
the code is on holiday now and I would suggest that we sort out any
changes that we would like to see ready for his return, possibly we
could assemble these on the wiki. In summary.

 From the recent debate I believe we have the following so far which
we will consider:

1) There is a proposal to mark apostrophe differences in a single
colour.
2) There are some queries from Ed Loach, particularly about drive-ways
which we may well be ignoring.

Any more?

Regards,

Peter