Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxf...@...> writes:

>I've got a road that's Arnolds Way in OSM and on the street signs,
>Arnold's Way in OSSV. How should it be tagged?

In such situations I usually do some research to find out who is correct.
The local council which puts up the street signs certainly has some authority,
however it is not infallible (for example, some councils have a blanket policy
to omit apostrophes from street signs, whether the name has one or not).  If
there are local histories or guides to the area (written by people, not auto-
generated from Google maps) these can be useful indicators.  Of course, you can
also go to the street and ask people!

The alt_name tag can be useful for search engines.  However I'd expect any
search engine to be intelligent enough to ignore apostrophes (and case) when
matching, so I don't think it would be necessary to tag both variants.

This is just my opinion and seems to me to have more common sense in it than
blindly copying whatever the street sign says, however others may have a
different view.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>