If I collect a GPS trace of a road that is tagged as say 'source=NPE', I
will adjust the road to match the trace, and change it to source=survey.
That means that unless you look through the history there will be no
evidence that it was once derived from another source...but, once you have
surveyed it, I don't think it is derived from the other source any more, so
this is fair enough?

Graham.

On 23 July 2010 14:42, Chris Fleming <m...@chrisfleming.org> wrote:

> On 22/07/10 16:25, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>
>> Ed Avis wrote:
>>

>>> As an aside, I think the 'source' tag is a bit misconceived; it would
>>> make
>>> much more sense to tag source on the changeset, not on each object it
>>> touches.
>>>

>> Only if you solely use one source per changeset. I'll typically use at
>> least
>> a mix of NPE, OS OpenData, GPS survey and personal knowledge, and
>> sometimes
>> more.
>>

> I tend to do the same - although if I have a track for a road that was
> previously  source = "not survey" I will generally modify it to match the
> tracks and either delete the source tag or edit it to be source=survey
>
> Although I don't think I'm consistent.  What do people tend to do?
>

> One I did recently is
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4981553/history and shows the
> evolution of what is initially a traced name = FIXME into a fully surveyed
> way by 4 people over nearly 3 years :)
>
> Although this is a good case of where an area appears done and so I didn't
> visit it, until the the OS comparsion stuff came out. At which point I've
> discovered lots of missing stuff.
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>

> --