On 23/07/2010 15:18, Graham Jones wrote:
If I collect a GPS trace of a road that is tagged as say 'source=NPE', I will adjust the road to match the trace, and change it to source=survey. That means that unless you look through the history there will be no evidence that it was once derived from another source...but, once you have surveyed it, I don't think it is derived from the other source any more, so this is fair enough?

It may be, if (say) the name came from NPE and you forgot to write the name down while you were there collecting the GPS trace; in that case "source=gps;source:name=NPE" might be appropriate.

There are quite a few "countryside" roads near me that look NPE traced (i.e. the offset from other GPS traces is consistent with the NPE Potlatch overlay offset) but have no source assigned; I've added a source of something "looks like NPE" or similar when updating other attributes but not the position (i.e. I see that somethings a dirt track from one end but don't go down it to collect a trace).