On 08/08/2010 14:01, Craig Wallace wrote:
On 03/01/2006 00:37, Dave F. wrote:
  On 07/08/2010 19:34, Richard Moss wrote:

I take data from OS as evidence that there is a name for a road/track etc.

I'm happy with that where I know a road exists, and I have added names
to the farm tracks around the village.  But putting roads on OSM
without actually verifying that they exists, that's another debate :)

Personally I'd take OS as evidence of the existence of a road as well.
Obviously it would be good to have travelled it as OSL isn't the most
accurate for location & direction, but at least we know it's there.

It was concluded in a previous discussion that OS didn't put 'easter
eggs' into their data.

Do you have any examples of roads not being on the ground?

Correction: When I said OSL above, I meant OSSV

A 'road' of some sort yes. But the OS Streetview maps sometimes aren't clear whether its an unclassified road, a residential road, a driveway or farm track or a path etc. Plus a few roads which are still under construction.

True, on ground verification is often needed, but it's still evidence that it exists.

Anyway, isn't this thread is about names from OS Locator, not names from OS Streetview.

Well, not really, it was about adding roads to the map for which OSSV is being used. OSL was used as a statistical tool. I see the OS data release as one set of data from one source & all manifestations of it (OSL &OSSV) should be used in conjunction with each other.

PS: your clock is rather wrong.

Thanks. I had a BIOS battery failure & for some reason it's not finding a 'RPC server' to auto update it.

Cheers
Dave F.