I am listening to the feedback. Lets look that this from my perspective.

I have spent a lot of time filling out Suffolk with data from the OS.This
started in Ipswich with using the ITO compare tiles to spot errors and
omissions in the town itself.

This started over Xmas I decided to experimented using Potlatch 2, OS Open
Data and Bing aerial to map a completely unmapped town (Lakenheath) to OSM
as far as I could without visting the place. It worked very well and I then
added Brandon and finished off Mildenhall. Did I remove anyone's work? No.
Did I overwrite anyone's street names? certainly not. I then did the same
for a bunch of smaller places across Suffolk that weren't mapped out
completely.

I then worked on the name discrepancies where OS Locator and OSM disagreed
to decide who was right. If OSM was right then I put the wrong spelling in
not:name; if OSM was wrong then I would correct the name in OSM. A couple of
us at ITO then did the same in parts of Cambs using the same method.

I have been tempted to do Thapston, Northants which I know reasonably well.
I could follow the same process as I have done above and it would take about
10 hours. I would prefer to run a bot of the town, add all the geometry from
os vector district, add new names from OS Locator and then do a clean-up
pass on discrepencies which would take half the time.

I look at Bradford and Leeds with 4,000 roads missing each and think - this
is not a good use of time. Some of the work has to be done by people, but it
can be speeded up considerably using tools to do the starting work.

Will this discourage mapping? I don't believe so - there will still be loads
of landuse and paths to add, it will just free people up to do that work
rather than repetitive jobs that a computer can do. By getting the UK
mapping up to a good basic standard then more people will start using it and
will thereby be encouraged to add more detail where they need it.

Am I proposing running it all over the country? Certainly not, it would be
used by a mapper as part of a longer process to fix up an area of interest
to them.

Fyi, ITO will soon have to give the OS £13,500 for another's years use of
their ITN dataset and then additional usage and printing fees during the
year. As such I really want to get to the point where we can say 'no
thanks'!

Regards,

Peter