On 03/02/11 11:51, Ed Avis wrote:
Lastly, I don't believe that adding data from external sources discourages
contributors.  Quite the opposite.  It is a blank canvas that puts people off.
The way to bring in contributors is to show a map with a few missing details
that
are so tempting to fix 'just one thing'...

I don't think you can generalise this - the blank canvas attracts some people (including me) and repels others.

However, I used to be quite active in wikipedia, and the experience there is clearly that there are far, far more people who want to be editors than who want to contribute brand-new content. I suspect if OSM did more to attract "gardeners" as someone else put it, there could be a big, largely untapped source of contributors out there.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Harley    :     Managing Director     :     SpiffyMap Ltd

Email: m...@spiffymap.com   Phone: 0845 313 8457   www.spiffymap.com
Post: The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ