On 3 February 2011 15:10, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM
<sk53_...@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> [...]
> worked on Criccieth and the surrounding area for years, some others have
> done bits in a few other towns, but most of the county and the peninsula are
> still very bare after 5-6 years of OSM.
>
> I don't see anyone nipping out on their bicycle of a weekend, or altering
> their commute to work, to finish the basic road network in Gwynedd. I
> suspect the area has a very low density of IT/geo professionals. Most of the
> work seems to be done by tourists, like me, who visit specific areas often.
>
> If there are tools like the "no names" map and maybe an "un-checked OS
> Locator copied names" map, I don't see the problem with giving those remote
> rural areas a big boost. If anything, it might make it easier to recruit the
> sort of local mappers that can happily add a handful of local POIs.
>
> Best wishes,
> Tom
>
> --
> http://tom.acrewoods.net   http://twitter.com/tom_chance

>  Well this touches close to home.
>
> My mother's family come from North Wales: many of the poorly mapped places
> in the area either have family associations, relatives still living there or
> other memories from family holidays or my early childhood. You can look at
> places I've mapped in the area: some are from short more or less annual
> visits to the area, others reflect deeper meaning: the cemetery where my
> uncle and great-grandmother are buried, the village where my cousins' used
> to run the post office, the house where my mother holidayed before WWII, the
> open land which caught fire and my father helped beat out the flames.
>
> Llyn does have a basic road network (pace Richard).  On top of that the OS
> data is a poor substitute for exploring the rich topography of Llyn, or for
> engaging people who already know it.
>
> So why don't we try and find some local organisations which might have an
> interest: the local councils may well log GPS traces for their vehicles.
> There is a centre at Plas
> Tan-y-Bwlch<http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/study-centre>run by the Snowdonia
> National Park which runs conferences & courses. There
> is a university at Bangor with a CS department. There is an incipient Welsh
> Placename Society <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11800957>. There is
> the Royal Commission <http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/> on Ancient Monuments for
> Wales which is in beta with the People's Collection
> Wales<http://www.peoplescollectionwales.co.uk/>.
> In most parts of England there are active Welsh Societies (e.g,[1],[2]),
> perhaps their members would love a talk about OSM and the chance to
> reminisce about the villages and towns where they grew up. There are local
> history societies like that for the Nantlle
> <http://www.nantlle.com/home.htm>valley. There is the
> Urdd<http://www.urdd.org/index.php?lng=en>.
>

> In other words there are lots of people & organisations with which we at
> OSM could engage, or we could just import the OS data.

Or do both? Surely the guys at the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments are
not about to head out on bikes to survey the area. What they will do,
possibly, is get the boundary correct and put names on the buildings but not
until the road network is in place or it will look a bit stupid?

Another point... at the 2009 State of the Map there was a big 'ideas'
session where I suggested that as one panned the map in OSM it should
highlight at the side any relevant OSM wiki pages. So... as one panned over
a town or a county it would highlight the page. As an alternative it could
make an editor aware of the pages when they press 'edit'. These wiki pages
could then be used to guide editors on local issues, challenges and
preferences. It could include warning about out-of-date imagery etc. Current
I suspect that few edits are even aware that there is a wiki page for Forest
Heath and for Suffolk. Or indeed for Wales and Gwynedd. All wiki pages that
are associated with an area have a map on the and that map has coordinates
in it to allow then to be presented appropriately.

None of this is telling me that a bot should not exist. It is saying that it
won't be welcome everywhere and won't be used by everyone.

Regards,

Peter

Regards,

Peter