On 4 February 2011 12:55, Stephen Gower <socks-openstreetmap....@earth.li>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 11:18:19AM +0000, Peter Miller wrote:
> > I use the following method.
> >
> > If the OS name is different from the streetsign and general usage I put
> it
> > in not:name
> > If it is apparently a valid alternative I put it on alt_name
> > I am not clear why anything else is required.
>
> What do you do when a road has completely gone?  Mascall Avenue in Oxford
> has completely gone. There's a new housing estate, with a road network that
> doesn't match what was there before, so there's no way to mark with
> old_name
> or not:name or anything.

I suggest that the main upload process should spot an attempt to add back a
feature which has been removed with the message ' Mascall Avenue was removed
by -this- edit on xx-xx-xxxx with the comment 'blar blar' Are you sure you
want to add it back'. A bot would also ideally do this prior to it getting
to the upload stage. Wikipedia has a similar warning for people attempting
to re-create a previously deleted article.

Peter