On 3 March 2011 15:02, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:

> Tom Chance <tom@...> writes:
>
> >>Tom, I've noticed you've added a large number of trees with species
> details
> >>supplied by Southwark Council.
>
> >I've also tried to crowdsource the common names for all of the species in
> the
> >data set and add those in, along with any fruit/nuts they produce for
> people
> >like me who are interested in foraging.
>
> I think to get the common name you could grind your list against Wikipedia.
> Ideally, only the scientific name would need to be tagged in OSM, with
> natural language versions added automatically when rendering.  Is that the
> plan?

No, I want to put the species, genus, common name and produce into OSM
wherever possible.

As others have noted, it's not quite that straightforward though Wikipedia
is a good starting point.

As for row 383 - brilliant! I'm guessing someone added that into the Google
doc, I'll look for it in the original datasource when I next go back to it.

I created the Google doc by just pulling out all the unique species entries
in the shapefile and slapping it up online to attract helpful people's
contributions.

Tom