On 23/03/2011 12:15, Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
On 23 March 2011 11:18, Dave F.<dave...@madasafish.com>  wrote:
I've noticed a couple few ways being tagged with designation= Other Route
with Public Access (or just ORPA)

I've never seen a route signed with this on the ground or in the OS Opendata
set, only on OS printed maps.

If this is the case I believe it's illegal mapping&  should be removed. Is
this correct or have I missed something?
As far as I know, "ORPA" is a term invented by Ordnance survey to
describe and mark some unclassified roads that might otherwise appear
to be private tracks on their maps. These are routes that aren't one
of the designated public rights of way (footpath, bridleway, byway,
restricted byway), but are a public highway or some sort, so you have
the right to use them. These will not be signed as "ORPA" on the
ground, and I guess the only way you could know the specific "ORPA"
status is by looking at the OS map. Hence I guess we shouldn't really
have these in our data.

As for how to (legally) tag the rights on these routes, you can follow
the instructions on the OS map key, and ask your local Highways
Authority what the status of the route is. The Highways Authority
maintains a "List of Streets" which will probably include the route as
an "unclassified highway" with a reference number. For tagging
suggestions, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Designation#Other_Roads_with_Public_Access_.28ORPAs.29

If we are to remove the designation=ORPA tags, it might be useful to
replace them with a fixme="check legal status to route with highways
authority" (assuming we're allowed to do this).

Right, we're agreed that that were copied from printed OS maps, which is banned in OSM.

Can't speak for all authorities, but mine issue such data on top of OS maps. There's been a lot of talk, & I believe the consensus was that the OS map 'contaminated' the data & was not usable.

As for tagging, use what you see on the ground. Most of the OPRA I know of lead onto paths/bridleways etc & are signed as such at the beginning of the OPRAs.

Cheers
Dave F.